Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Maps

A few hours ago I was looking at the Strange Maps site again, and a few minutes ago it occurred to me that I had no topic for a blog entry. That site is oddly addictive. (Check out the Atlas of True Names entry.)

Our family owns the Times of London Concise Atlas of the World for some reason. It makes fine bedtime reading. Australia's names are perhaps my favorite: Brandon, Ayr, Home Hill, Merinda, Bowen, Airlie Beach, Cannonvale, Proserpine, Bloomsbury, Calen, Farleigh, Bakers Creek, Eungella, Moranbah, Saraji, Capella, Emerald, Anakie, Bogantungan, Alpha, Jericho, Yalleroi, Blackall. How did they all get their names? Why would the Founding Convicts of Australia name a town after the brightest star in Auriga, or the first letter in the Greek alphabet, or the wife (I guess) of Hades/Pluto? Did George Lucas look at the same map when he was writing Star Wars? (If you're curious, all the towns I named are from Queensland.)

Another atlas our family owns is the Onion's Our Dumb World. Texas, for instance, is home to "Massive pickup truck picking up smaller pickup truck", "Cowboy hat that can be seen from outer space", "Racist eating at fantastic Mexican restaurant", and "Oil man who hates all non-Saudi foreigners." The atlas also informs me that "Everything Sucks Bigger in Texas", so screw the Onion.

The political season also provided some fine maps, and the finest map I've seen is Daily Kos's Electoral Scoreboard. Whenever I need to remind myself how much butt the Democrats kicked, I look at those maps. And in 2010 (midterm midtacular!) I can use the Cook Political Report to see what the current conventional wisdom is. (Answer: Sucky. OK-Sen is likely R? It's solid R. LA-Sen is tossup? It's likely R. NH-Sen is likely R? It's lean R or tossup.)

I enjoy tracking hurricanes during hurricane season, so here are historical hurricane tracking maps. (During hurricane season I'll have to write an entry showing really bizarre hurricane tracks.) Weather maps are also interesting to me, but there are plenty of those online or in the paper. I understand Philadelphia will be freezing when I return. (Even Houston froze last night in some parts.)

Pretty accurate map of the US.

Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment