Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mandatory Inauguration Post

Well, we made it. You made it. Finally we have a president we can be proud of. Yep, I watched the inauguration, and I enjoyed it. There are three images that particularly stand out for me: 1. Dick Cheney in a wheelchair. 2. Yo Yo Ma's face as he was playing that John Williams piece. 3. The massive crowd size. A sea of people.

...And it's that sea of people that inspired my strangest reaction - I was briefly creeped out. I suddenly remembered images of rallies for totalitarian dictators. And then I remembered: can you imagine 2 million people at either of Bush's inaugurals? No, of course not. Bush sucked, and those 2 million people (and the rest of us) deserve to celebrate his removal and the arrival of a new, much better president. Also, I've noticed that Obama tries to make his events about you instead of him. It's "Yes We Can". The first person plural is crucial. I hope the two million people had a hell of a day, a day they will remember forever.

The other big event of the day was my algebra seminar, in which I had to explain the dihedral group and be peppered with lots of questions. Fun fun! But the inauguration will stick in my head for far longer.

Also, Roberts and Obama needed to practice that oath a little more. Heh.

There was also a fourth picture I saw today that made a very, very strong impression on me, and here it is. Tomorrow I write about Dick Cheney! Join me as I discuss the finer points of angling, shooting your friend in the face, and the Cheney-Church axis.

No comments:

Post a Comment