Monday, December 22, 2008

Caroline Kennedy!

So I guess the current liberal polarization du jour is Caroline Kennedy. Now I know none of y'all care much about Caroline Kennedy, and I don't much either. It's probably worth caring about her more than Rick Warren though because she's in the position to be a senator, and the Senate is where legislation goes to die. Unless it passes! But don't worry, the Republicans don't believe in helping out Obama by passing his legislation.

Oh yeah, and Governor Paterson sez he's already decided who the replacement will be. (Wait, for Aether and those who don't know: Hillary's probably gonna be Secretary of State, and Paterson needs to name her replacement, who will possibly be Ms. Kennedy.) I tend to be against Ms. Kennedy, because...what exactly has she done in life? She hasn't been elected to any political office. She's a lawyer. She also raised $65 million for NYC public schools, which sounds like a lot but it's a big city, so I'm not sure how much that amount actually means. She endorsed Obama in early 2008 which is the first I had heard of her actually doing something. She filled out a questionnaire for the NY Times saying her political views - mainstream stuff, she supports gay marriage, undivided Jerusalem, other stuff. But we didn't know all this before she filled out the questionnaire! That's a problem. She's not doing much press, not hitting Meet the Press or Face the Nation or the Daily Show. (My mom sez she did Meet the Press earlier in the year to talk about her support of Obama, if you're being picky.) You might remember the last prominent female political figure pilloried for not doing many interviews with the press. Her name was Sarah Palin.

Nepotism: Sure, it's not so good in principle, but look at Ted Kennedy. He hadn't done too much in life before being elected to the Senate. Key word: elected! It would probably be best for Paterson to appoint a caretaker, or call a special election - although the latter is expensive. As for nepotism, what can we do about it? Nothing, really - just make sure that the sons and daughters of political figures get elected fair and square, without special help from their parents.

Moment of zen: So I was looking at the Huffington Post earlier, and their headline is O! accompanied by this image. Straight ladies and gay guys: You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I knew about all of this from a very reputable source: Saturday Night Live! I was bored and watching random bits of SNL on Hulu the other day and the Weekend Update had something about it. Although, I'm sure it's about the only bit of politics I've noticed and appreciate such reminders in the future.

    Looking into the matter, I commented to my father on the matter after I noticed it was on the front page of the Houston Chronicle, which is usually as deep as I get unless I notice something interesting or I'm bored. It kind of frustrates me that Ms. Kennedy hasn't done much, yet thinks she deserves the post because she's a Kennedy. I'm hoping that by the time our generation is in power, they see a Kennedy running for office and say "so what" and vote for the other guy (assuming the other guy is more qualified, of course, though I'm not sure what that means). Not that I have anything against what the Kennedys stand for, of course.

    On a side note, I'm listening to Gabrieli's Sacrae Symphoniae right now, which is something I haven't done in a while. It makes me regret that I couldn't enter St. Mark's cathedral (San Marco's lofts are supposed to be impressive) when I was in Venice since it was being renovated at the time. <3 polyphony Josquin des Prez may be next on my list of composers to listen to. Him, or Thomas Weelkes' madrigals.

    ReplyDelete