Thursday, March 12, 2009

Deep thought:

One of my first entries here was on the ludicrous RNC chairman race. As we recall, the chairman of the RNC is Michael Steele, former lieutenant governor of Maryland. He's said a lot of stupid things recently which I am too lazy to catalogue here. Seems that I hear some new idiotic comment from him every three days, and then there are the inevitable requests for clarification and apologies. He also hasn't done a very good job of being a chairman - he's fired a lot of people, but hasn't hired a lot of people. The liberal blogs (at least Daily Kos and TPM) have started a death watch for him - well, not quite literally, but they do expect him to be fired. And yanno, he really hasn't done a good job. The problem is the whole racial thing - remember the runner up for the RNC chairmanship was a guy who was a member of a whites only country club until last year. And for him to replace Mr. Steele, who is black: well, you can imagine.

Went to Barnes and Noble today to use up gift card money. I now own The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (good book) and 08: a Graphic Diary of the Campaign Trail. It's the 2008 presidential election retold in the form of a graphic novel, except you don't read right to left. I think it's a pretty cool idea executed well. One thing that stuck out to me was the general election (everything after Hillary conceded) was only the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the book. The point is that the primary sure was a never ending endless bataan death march democralypse now, and the book reflects that. Also for some reason I like seeing people (Keith Olbermann! Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher!) rendered as comic book characters. 

I've been translating 2 Odes by Horace each day for the past week, it's been pretty fun. I'm pretty sure I read some of them in high school, definitely 1.1 and 1.11 (that's the carpe diem one). Damn, Horace can write great poetry. 

Levi Johnston and Bristol Palin have split up. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment